Thursday, October 1, 2009

Halfway/halfmad ponderings

Hello from Karratha! Thought I would post a short one to let all know that I'm still alive and pedalling. I am now well over halfway having covered over 9000kms. Just beyond Kunanurra I realised I was around halfway so thought I would write down some quick thoughts on travel, it may be interesting to compare to my thoughts when I return home.
Despite times (or weeks) of difficulty, frustration and exhaustion I am still of the opinion to yes, travel. But I would suggest to find the ones you love and travel. Not together, but let your paths intertwine like loosely plaited rope. The knowledge travel brings can then be shared between you, for it is the fellow traveler's ears who are open. What you believe of others stories and what you agree upon is of little consequence as there is still knowledge to be gathered from the vast plains of INFORMED opinion. As for mode of transport, to discover a place you must not fly. You must not drive, sail or even ride or walk. You must sit. For alone you will find time. In that time you will find silence, and in silence you will hear the whispers of all the truth, knowledge and beauty that the land holds. The whispers of all that's larger than our moments. But one will always return home surer of why they called it such.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Step,
    yup, definitely half mad (or maybe half way)

    Can't work out if you're advocating going with someone else or sitting by yourself and spending time.
    (Or maybe I've missed the point completely.......again)

    Keep up the good work, be well and hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sean!
    I believe you need a mixture of both. I feel too many people surround themselves with the company of others too often, too soon and as a result never really learn enough about themselves. However if one spends too much time alone he/she may find out too much about themselves which I believe could also be a bad thing. To know your absolute limits is to find an excuse that can be stretched to blanket all you do. Also I think if you know too much you become too comfortable and then how would you be willing to compromise with others so that you can have lasting friendships, relationships and enjoyment. To discover culture and land though it is best to be by yourself...in my opinion of course! But this is from halfway...the Nullarbor is bound to pound my mind to a mash leaving me to try and reconstruct something from all that wants to slip through my fingers. Hopefully the sunrise and sunsets holds it together in some basic, remouldable shape!

    ReplyDelete